Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chapter 5

"I thank God he gave me a daughter as patient as you." -Page 39

This quote reminds me of my grandma with me and my brother. She always says that she is glad her grandchildren are so different from each other. What she implies but never says is that my brother Daniel is the smart one, and that I am the helpful one. It is very clear that what she sees is Daniel talking about science and me helping her with her wheelchair and bases her opinion on that. What she doesn't see is that I can be smart, too and that Daniel can be sensitive. It really hurts me when she assumes that Daniel is the only one who gets decent grades. I always feel like she doesn't think very highly of me and that I only have one good quality. This is a feeling both Nadira and I share. She feels this way after she hangs up with her mom, and I feel this way every time we visit my grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment